Monday, March 22, 2010

Dr Awesome Wants YOU!

I'm thinking of taking things in a slightly different direction here, but I want some feedback from you all about it before I do anything. Obviously, this blog has been pretty inconsistent when it comes to generating quality material in a timely manner. In fact you could make the argument that there has been no quality material period, so the timely manner thing is a moot point. Touche. But still, since I have real world responsibilities, manswering questions on anything approaching a normal schedule is pretty difficult. But I'd like to change that. Here are some ideas I've got for both getting more quality material out there, and easing the burden on me for being the sole person responsible for generating that material:

- Conduct interviews with other bloggers, fans, and government officials speaking on the condition of anonymity
- Allow some of you to guest manswer questions yourself. Dr Awesome is bigger than just one man, I think, and much like the entire village of Santa Poco dressed up like the Three Amigos to defeat El Guapo, it would be cool if I could get some folks to don the Dr Awesome persona to manswer the El Guapos of metrosexuality (plus remember when El Guapo got a sweater for his birthday? what the junk!)
- Try to set up some kind of more rigid schedule where new content will be available at regular times and intervals
- Open up the range of topics we address, from the more specific "how to be a manly man" to "what manly men think about various subjects." In that way, a "manswer" would just be a manly perspective on a subject...really, how to be badical when it comes to whatever topic it is we're discussing.
- Get some input from Mrs Awesome, and potentially Baby Awesome, to give you a more well-rounded picture of what it means to be Awesome
- Other, as yet unknown ideas that are so incredible they would melt your face if read them right now, which is why they're being saved for later

What do you folks think about all that? Would that be stuff you're interested in? Would you feel short-changed if you got a manswer from someone other than me? I know I've done stuff in the past to try and generate more fan-involvement...I went so far one time as to come up with ways that you could purchase my friendship. Not my best idea, maybe, but I was and am just trying to think outside the box. That's why I need your help. I can promise you this much...if somehow I become wealthy and famous and get access to the small circle of cool Christian bloggers who are influential and cool, such that actual publishers pay me to hear my ignorant and uninformed thoughts, I will be sure to thank you by having a big reader appreciation Space Walk party. Who doesn't like Space Walks? So please, help with some feedback, and let me know what you think of my ideas. Or suggest your own. Together we can take down El Guapo and his plethora of gifts.

10 comments:

tam March 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

I honestly don't mind the fact that the posts come in randomly. I just use the RSS feed and can check to see if there's anything new when I get a chance.

I thought there were two of you already anyway? Guest bloggers would be interesting if they were well screened for manliness and integrity, I don't know how much of a pain that would be to setup though.

Mike March 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Then again, in the spirit of the manly Tim Allen, always add more power when possible. Personally, I don't mind the inconsistency, as long as you are still producing content I think your readership will follow. On the other hand, I would love to do a guest post sometime, if only to stick it to El Guapo, that dude's got it coming. Again.

Dusty March 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

The Dr. knows best.

If it helps you to implement these changes, then by all means, do it. As long as the guests posts are moderated by Dr Awesome before being published, I think it's an interesting twist. Keep it up.

Sincerely,

El Guapo

Dr Awesome March 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about other people posting as Dr Awesome...that's still my job. I'm talking about guests maybe posting in the spirit of Dr Awesome, just like the Three Amigos and Santa Poco. Can you tell I watched that recently? It's hilarious.

Hunter Van Wagenen March 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

What kind of rigorous test of manhood would you have for the guest writers? I assume some sort of Scottish games-esque rock throwing, but I'm curious to know what else you will require. Whatever you come up with, I'd like to take the test and write as a disciple. Also, if you need to interview anyone about manliness at college, feel free to let me know. hvanwage@gmail.com

Heather March 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

I don't know if blogger does this, so feel free to ignore this, but some blog hosts let you schedule your posts. So say you have time to write three posts, you can schedule them so they won't all come out on the same day, making it a little more regular. But I just use an RSS feed, too, so it doesn't matter much to me.

Ricky Anderson March 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Let's break it down:


- Conduct interviews with other bloggers, fans, and government officials speaking on the condition of anonymity

As long as you're still writing or compiling it. This would still take time, but would free you up from the typical genre.

- Allow some of you to guest manswer questions yourself.

I think you should pick a few of us (randomly, from the comments, hint hint), and ASSIGN a question you don't have time to deal with. You're the Boss, and now you have staff.

- Try to set up some kind of more rigid schedule where new content will be available at regular times and intervals

You'll burn yourself out this way. None of us mind irregularity, unless it's of the other type.

- Open up the range of topics we address, from the more specific "how to be a manly man" to "what manly men think about various subjects." In that way, a "manswer" would just be a manly perspective on a subject...really, how to be badical when it comes to whatever topic it is we're discussing.

Excellent idea.

- Get some input from Mrs Awesome, and potentially Baby Awesome, to give you a more well-rounded picture of what it means to be Awesome

Excellent idea. My wife loves the blog as much as I do.

- Other, as yet unknown ideas that are so incredible they would melt your face if read them right now, which is why they're being saved for later.

Thanks, we were worried about that. You'll have to ease us into them.

Parmvir March 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

Perhaps, "Dr. Awesome Readers Append Words to Random Images of Old Man Movie Screencaps Found on the Interwebs Celebrity Competition Bee", should be turned from a quasi-monthly, back to a quasi-weekly ritual! It helps keep my manergy bar restored for the week.

mmcreel March 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

I love your blog! I think it is hilarious...and in your more serious posts you are not afraid to speak the truth about what is required of a godly man, and I greatly appreciate that. I'm happy with it the way it is. But you are the ones who put in all the effort so do with it as you wish. If you so choose to ask for a female post from time to time, I would be happy to begin with a rebuttal to your manswer to my "should men wear sleeveless shirts" question. I'm still bitter about that whole thing....

Dr Awesome March 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Hunter, Ricky, MMCreel, and anyone else who might be interested...email me and I'll get you on the list of folks I have who want to do some guest manswers.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP